Mr. Smarty Plants - Low growing native shrubs to go next to a rock pool deck

Thursday - July 29, 2004

From: Georgetown, TX
Title: Low growing native shrubs to go next to a rock pool deck
Answered by: Stephen Brueggerhoff

QUESTION:

I have a pool surrounded by a rock deck, & want to plant some low-growing shrubs next to the deck. However, I want to ensure the root system of the plant isn't invasive enough to crack the rock deck in later years. What should I plant?

ANSWER:

When planning to landscape around your pool, take in to account the existing features; i.e. is the area in full sun, is the soil depth restrictive of the root zone around the pool (what I like to refer to as the “cement planter”), is there adequate drainage, etc? These issues will aid in determining the appropriate plants for use. I am suggesting that you review our Native Plants Database, researching regionally appropriate native plants that fit with your needs.