En Espa—ol

Saturday - March 24, 2007

From: Chester, TX
Title: Difference between white and red berried versions of Callicarpa americana
Answered by: Damon Waitt

QUESTION:

I have seen many American Beautyberry Bushes [Callicarpa americana] but it was not until I moved into the Big Thicket region that I had ever seen a white berried one. There is no difference botanically between the two?

ANSWER:

White American Beautyberry is a cultivar of Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry). The rare, white berried version is sometimes called called "Lactea" or "Alba". Botanically, is a naturally occurring, albeit rare, variant of the American Beautyberry that has been propagated (probably by cuttings) for the horticultural trade. Hence, it bears the same latin name as its progenitor. If you google "white beautyberry" you will find many nurseries that carry this plant.

Callicarpa americana