Sunday - August 10, 2014

From: Elgin, TX
Topic: Seed and Plant Sources, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Certified organic native grass seeds for Texas

QUESTION:

Thanks for your previous answer to my pasture grass seed question. We know about Native American Seed but they don't sell certified organic seeds. We're not sure whether we'll be able to find certified organic seeds at all and that was more my question. Is there a source for certified organic seed in the variety of warm and cool season pasture forage? Thank you.

ANSWER:

Unfortunately, we have no special knowledge of companies selling certified organic native Texas grass seeds.  We, like you, have to depend on the internet to find such. Using the terms "certified organic native grass seeds" here are some companies that I found:

Peaceful Valley Farm & Garden Supply in Grass Valley, CA

Albert Lea Seed in Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Michigan, Ohio and New York has native grass seeds and organic grass seeds, but, as far as I can tell, no organic native grass seeds.

DLForganic.org has organic grass seeds but they don't have any native grass seeds as far as I can tell.  The don't tell the botanical names and even the common names of their grasses.

EarthEasy has a list of "Where to Buy Organic Seeds" that you can check.  You will probably need to telephone the ones that are listed since even though they are on the list as having "organic" seeds, their webpage doesn't state that the seeds are "certified organic" (e.g., Plants of the Southwest). 

Although it is very important to find an organic source for your seeds, we at the Wildflower Center feel it is equally important to use native grasses for your pastures.

Best of luck in your search!