Wednesday - July 16, 2014

From: Morgantown , WV
Topic: Invasive Plants, Non-Natives, Shrubs
Title: Japanese Wineberry in Maryland

QUESTION:

Hello, we were at Cunningham Falls in Maryland and I can not identify this plant. If you could I would greatly appreciate it, thank you. It looks like a raspberry but the berries are inside small leaves with red fuzzy hairs. When the berry is picked it leaves behind an orangish-yellow star shape. The canes are red and fuzzy and the leaves are in groups of three and a medium green, shaped like a more rounded raspberry leaf. Thanks for your time.

ANSWER:

The plant that you found is Rubus phoenicolasius, the Japanese wineberry. Wikipedia says that the Japanese wineberry is native to northern China, Japan and Korea and was introduced to Europe and North America for its potential in breeding hybrid raspberries. It has subsequently escaped cultivation and has become naturalized and is sometime invasive in parts of Europe and eastern North America.
The National Parks Service has a good webpage on the Wineberry with images that will help you confirm your identification.