En EspaÑol

Saturday - March 17, 2007

From: Northglenn, CO
Title: Native wildflowers for Denver, Colorado area

QUESTION:

I live in the Denver, CO area and would like to plant more native wildflowers. Can you please tell me where I can find a list?

ANSWER:

You can visit our Regional Fastpacks page and find the Rocky Mountain Recommended Native Plant Species List. The list is divided into sections for different types of plants (e.g., Cacti and Succulents, Ferns, Grasses, etc.) and gives the botanical and common names, the native range (i.e., the state), and comments about size, bloom time, and habitat preference for each plant.

Here are a few selections from that list:

SHRUBS

Fallugia paradoxa (Apache plume)

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi (kinnikinnick)

Mahonia aquifolium (hollyleaved barberry) or Mahonia repens (creeping barberry)

HERBACEOUS

Arnica cordifolia (heartleaf arnica)

Castilleja linariifolia (Wyoming Indian paintbrush)

Campanula rotundifolia (bluebell bellflower)

Echinacea angustifolia (blacksamson echinacea)

Zinnia grandiflora (Rocky Mountain zinnia)

Fallugia paradoxa

Arctostaphylos uva-ursi

Mahonia repens

Campanula rotundifolia

Zinnia grandiflora

Arnica cordifolia

Echinacea angustifolia

Castilleja linariifolia