Wednesday - June 11, 2014

From: Brooklyn, NY
Topic: Container Gardens, Vines
Title: Vine for trellis in Brooklyn, New York

QUESTION:

Hello, I am looking for a native vine to grow on a trellis in a large container. I live in Brooklyn, NY, and the area is in part shade. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Here are some native candidates for your trellis that grow in or very near Kings County or adjacent counties in New York:

Adlumia fungosa (Climbing fumatory)  This is a biennial and won't bloom until the second year.  Here is more information from Adams Garden.

Campsis radicans (Trumpet creeper) is a perennial blooms best in full sun, but will grow in shade.   It is an aggressive spreader and needs lots of room.   Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden.

Clematis occidentalis (Western blue virginsbower) is a perennial with interesting flowers and seed pods.  Here is more information from Connecticut Botanical Society.

Dioscorea villosa (Wild yam) is a perennial with interesting leaves.  Here is more information from the North American Native Plant Society.

Lonicera sempervirens (Coral honeysuckle) is a perennial with flowers that attract hummingbirds and butterflies.  Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden.  This is evergreen here in Texas but is likely not in New York.

Parthenocissus quinquefolia (Virginia creeper) is a perennial that doesn't have showy flowers but does have interesting leaves and grows quickly.  Here is more information from Missouri Botanical Garden.

Since your vine will be grown in a container I recommend reading our How to Article, Container Gardening with Native Plants.  And, since your winters can be rather cold, you need to take steps to protect the roots of the vine in the container since they will be more susceptible to freezing than if the vine were planted in the ground.

Climbing fumatory
Adlumia fungosa

Trumpet creeper
Campsis radicans

Western blue virginsbower
Clematis occidentalis

Wild yam
Dioscorea villosa

Coral honeysuckle
Lonicera sempervirens

Virginia creeper
Parthenocissus quinquefolia