Mr. Smarty Plants - Native flowers from bulbs from Denton TX

Wednesday - March 26, 2014

From: Denton, TX
Topic: Propagation, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native flowers from bulbs from Denton TX

QUESTION:

I am slowly converting my landscaping to as much native regional plants as possible. Are there any flowers from bulbs that you could recommend?

ANSWER:

Luckily for this member of the Smarty Plants Team, a far better answer to this question than we could give you already exists in our over 9000 previously answered questions. Previous answer.

We also found, from Greater Philadelphia Gardens, this article on Native Bulbs. These seemed mostly to be bulbs that grow in the Northeast United States, so they might not do you much good in Denton Co., TX. From Yahoo, here is A Guide to Gardening with Native Bulbs.

From all these sources, we tried to distill a list of flowers growing from bulbs that are native to Denton Co., TX. There are 13 members of the allium (onion) genus native to Texas, and 3 native to Denton County.  There were 3 other plants growing from bulbs also native to Denton County or close by. Follow each plant link to our webpage on that plant for growing conditions, light requirements, etc. With this list, the references above and the lists from the previous answer, we hope you will be able to find some bulbs to suit your purpose.

Allium canadense (Meadow garlic)

Allium canadense var. fraseri (Fraser meadow garlic)

Allium drummondii (Drummond's onion)

Camassia scilloides (Atlantic camas)

Erythronium albidum (White troutlily)

Alophia drummondii (Propeller flower)

Meadow garlic
Allium canadense

Fraser meadow garlic
Allium canadense var. fraseri

Drummond's onion
Allium drummondii

Atlantic camas
Camassia scilloides

White troutlily
Erythronium albidum

Propeller flower
Alophia drummondii