En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Is non-native mascagnia macroptera poisonous to animals from Hockley TX

Monday - February 17, 2014

From: Hockley, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Poisonous Plants, Vines
Title: Is non-native mascagnia macroptera poisonous to animals from Hockley TX

QUESTION:

Is Mascagmia macroptra (Butterfly Vine) poisonous to animals (horses and dogs)?

ANSWER:

First, please see this Previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer where you will learn it is native to Mexico and therefore not in our Native Plant Database. Because it is not in our database, we will find a couple of other websites to give you some information on it.

University of Arizona Cooperative Extension Master Gardeners of Pima County.

Texas A&M Agrilife Extensioon for Bexar County Yellow Butterfly Vine

We found no information in any of our research on whether this plant was poisonous, but here are some websites you can search in, using the scientific name Mascagnia macroptera.

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University's Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

University of Illinois' Plants Toxic to Animals

University of Pennsylvania's Poisonous Plants database

Plants of Texas Rangelands – Toxics

The fact that a plant doesn't appear on a toxic plant database doesn't guarantee that the plant is completely non-toxic.  Have you also checked with your veterinarian?