Mr. Smarty Plants - Native Vines for Coleman County, TX

Thursday - December 19, 2013

From: Midland, TX
Title: Native Vines for Coleman County, TX

QUESTION:

Do you have a list of native vines for Coleman County, TX. Thank You for your help

ANSWER:

Here is a list of native vines that grow in Coleman County, Texas according to the USDA Plants Database:

Cocculus carolinus (Carolina snailseed)

Convolvulus equitans (Bindweed)

Cuscuta pentagona var. pubescens (Bushclover dodder)

Ipomoea cordatotriloba var. torreyana (Torrey's tievine)

Parthenocissus heptaphylla (Sevenleaf creeper)

Rhynchosia senna var. texana (Texas snout-bean)

Smilax bona-nox (Saw greenbrier)

Tragia ramosa (Branched noseburn)

Vicia ludoviciana ssp. ludoviciana (Louisiana vetch)

Here are a few additions to that list from Atlas of the Vascular Plants of Texas by Billie Turner et al.

Ampelopsis cordata (Heartleaf peppervine)

Cissus trifoliata [synonym = Cissus incisa] (Grape ivy)

Funastrum crispum {synonym = Sarcostemma crispum] (Wavy-leaf milkweed vine)

Matelea biflora (Purple milkweed vine)

This is probably not a complete list of the native vines that occur in Coleman County.   The USDA Plants Database bases its distribution maps on specimens in herbaria and botanical literature.  Turner's book uses similar sources.  Some counties have been surveyed more thoroughly than others and thus will have more species identified as occurring in them.