En EspaÑol

Friday - November 22, 2013

From: Wimberley, TX
Topic: Seeds and Seeding, Trees
Title: Abundance of acorns from Wimberley TX

QUESTION:

We have lived in Wimberley since 1999 and this is the first time we have had such a huge abundance of acorns on our Oak trees, which is surprising considering the drought we have been in the last few years. I can't believe how many acorns we have and the deer are eating them like crazy, so is my dog! Why the bumper crop?

ANSWER:

Please read this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer concerning the large crop of acorns you are experiencing. You are not alone in this experience; at the Fall Plant Sale at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center you could hear the "pings" as acorns fell on the corrugated metal roofs of some of our buildings. And walking beneath them caused a constant crunching beneath the feet. It is a perfectly normal occurrence in the life cycle of the oak.