En Espa—ol

Friday - November 08, 2013

From: La Conner, WA
Region: Northwest
Title: Lingonberry 'Ida' Source for Commercial Production in the Pacific NW

QUESTION:

I am having difficulty locating a Lingonberry (Vaccinium vitis-idaea) cultivar named 'Ida'. Where can I purchase this plant for commercial production in the Pacific Northwest?

ANSWER:

Vaccinium vitis-idaea is a low, creeping shrub with evergreen leaves that is called lingonberry (or Northern mountain-cranberry or cowberry). The reddish-purple fruits are edible, although acidic and somewhat bitter, and are often cooked and used like cranberries. The real treasures are the fruits that overwinter under the snow and are much sweeter in the spring when the snow melts.  The species is native from Greenland to Alaska in bogs and rocky areas. It is particularly suited to the climate and soils of the Pacific Northwest.
Ross Penhallegon at Oregon State University Extension in Eugene, Oregon has an article online proclaiming the Lingonberry to be “A great new crop for the Pacific Northwest.” The article outlines the history of the plant and has some good information about commercial growing as well.
For a list of current lingonberry nurseries, contact Ross Penhallegon, OSU Extension Service, 950 West 13 Avenue, Eugene, OR 97402  Phone: 541-682-4243. Email: ross.penhallegon@oregonstate.edu

Cornell University indicates that Raintree Nursery in Morton, WA is a source for ‘Ida’ Lingonberry
Cornell also has an article on commercial production of lingonberry fruit. They say that ‘Ida’ is a vigorous, upright Swedish cultivar with large red berries (to 1.75 oz.).  It was developed in 1997.

Oregon and Washington state have at least 16 acres of lingonberries in commercial production (the largest commercial cultivation in the world), writes Larry Burt and Ross Penhallegon of Oregon State University Extension. They have extensive information about the economics of growing lingonberry

Lingonberry
Vaccinium vitis-idaea

Lingonberry
Vaccinium vitis-idaea

Lingonberry
Vaccinium vitis-idaea

Lingonberry
Vaccinium vitis-idaea

Lingonberry
Vaccinium vitis-idaea