Friday - October 18, 2013

From: Opp, AL
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Remedy for sore finger scratched by an Agave plant

I scratched my ring finger on a Agave plant this afternoon. It did bring blood to the surface and i washed it off. Where the scratch is, is very tender and it is swollen and tingles. Any suggestions for relief?

Mr. Smarty Plants is very sorry about your sharp encounter with your Agave.  Agave species are known to cause skin irritation and possibly allergic reactions according to the Botanical Dermatology Database.  We can tell you lots of things about plants native to North America (our focus and expertise) and some of us are "Doctors" (PhDs); but, as far as I know, none of us are "DOCTORS" (MDs), nor pharmacists.  We aren't qualified to tell you how to treat your wound.  You should visit your physician or ask your pharmacist to find the best treatment.