Tuesday - June 23, 2009

From: Sugar Land, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is Mexican petunia (Ruellia brittonianna) toxic to dogs

I would like to know if the plant known as Mexican petunia,or Katie dwarf (Ruellia brittonianna) is toxic for dogs. Thank you. Thank you.

Neither Ruellia brittonianna (Mexican petunia) nor any other species of Ruellia appear in any of the following toxic plant databases:

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Toxic Plants of Texas 

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

ASPCA Toxic and Non-toxic Plant List - Dogs

Its absence from the lists is not an absolute guarantee that R. brittoniana is completely non-toxic; however, its absence from the lists is a good indication that it is harmless.