Tuesday - June 23, 2009

From: Sugar Land, TX
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Is Mexican petunia (Ruellia brittonianna) toxic to dogs

QUESTION:

I would like to know if the plant known as Mexican petunia,or Katie dwarf (Ruellia brittonianna) is toxic for dogs. Thank you. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Neither Ruellia brittonianna (Mexican petunia) nor any other species of Ruellia appear in any of the following toxic plant databases:

Poisonous Plants of North Carolina

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

Toxic Plants of Texas 

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

ASPCA Toxic and Non-toxic Plant List - Dogs

Its absence from the lists is not an absolute guarantee that R. brittoniana is completely non-toxic; however, its absence from the lists is a good indication that it is harmless.