En EspaÑol

Tuesday - December 11, 2012

From: Haddonfield, NJ
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Beautyberries not poisonous to cats and dogs from Haddonfield NJ

QUESTION:

Are beauty berry plants poisonous to cats/dogs? Would like to use branches w/berries and leaves as indoor decorations.

ANSWER:

We get lots of questions about this gorgeous plant. Here is a previous Mr. Smarty Plants question concerning whether it is poisonous to people or animals. Follow this link, Callicarpa americana (American beautyberry), to our webpage on this plant where you will learn, among other things, that it does not grow naturally north of Maryland. If you have it thriving in your New Jersey garden, well done! Enjoy it at Christmas.

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana

American beautyberry
Callicarpa americana