Sunday - April 01, 2012

From: Hillsborough, NC
Topic: Poisonous Plants, Shrubs
Title: Will Calycanthus floridus (Eastern sweetshrub) grow near black walnut trees?

QUESTION:

Will Calycanthus floridus survive if planted near Black Walnut trees? If not, can you recommend a similar bush that will?

ANSWER:

One comment on the Dave's Garden page from "gonedutch" in Fairport, NY says that Calycanthus floridus (Eastern sweetshrub) tolerates growing near black walnuts, but I could find no mention of Eastern sweetshrub in either of the two articles I found about plants that are tolerant of walnut/juglone toxicity:

So, I suppose it is possible that Eastern sweetshrub is tolerant of juglone, but I can't say for sure.

However, here are several shrubs native to North Carolina that are listed as tolerant of growing near black walnuts:

Lindera benzoin (Northern spicebush)

Cercis canadensis (Eastern redbud)

Cornus florida (Flowering dogwood)

Asimina triloba (Pawpaw)

Ceanothus americanus (New jersey tea)

Chionanthus virginicus (White fringetree)

Physocarpus opulifolius (Atlantic ninebark)

Rhus aromatica (Fragrant sumac)

Rhus glabra (Smooth sumac)

Corylus americana (American hazelnut)

Northern spicebush
Lindera benzoin

Eastern redbud
Cercis canadensis

Flowering dogwood
Cornus florida

New jersey tea
Ceanothus americanus

White fringetree
Chionanthus virginicus

Atlantic ninebark
Physocarpus opulifolius

Fragrant sumac
Rhus aromatica

Smooth sumac
Rhus glabra

American hazelnut
Corylus americana