Saturday - September 28, 2013

From: San Antonio, TX
Topic: Transplants, Trees
Title: Time to transplant shade tree seedlings from San Antonio

QUESTION:

What month do you transplant shade tree seedlings in San Antonio, TX<

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants generally advises transplanting woody plants (trees and shrubs) in the coldest time of the year, especially in the Southwest, where summers are blazing hot and dry. November to January are our favorite time of the year for such transplants.

Please read this previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer and follow the links in it for information on transplant shock. If you are transplanting seedlings you won't have as much of an issue of gettiing all the roots out of the ground on a transplant, but cooler weather will still be a much better time to move a young tree.