Mr. Smarty Plants - Plant ID from Brick, New Jersey

Saturday - September 07, 2013

From: Brick, NJ
Topic: Plant Identification, Seeds and Seeding
Title: Plant ID from Brick, New Jersey

QUESTION:

I live in Brick, New Jersey. I planted some wildflower seed from an assorted packet. There is a very tall, thick center stem with orange flowers. I'd like to send photo but don't know how.

ANSWER:

We are sorry, we are no longer able to accept pictures for plant identification. If you go to our Plant Identification Page, you will find out why. Also on that page you will find instructions for submitting photos to several online forums that do accept pictures for identification.

That really is not enough of a description for us to even attempt identification. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which those plants grow naturally. We would recommend purchasing only seeds or seed mixes native to the specific area in which they will be planted; in your case, Ocean County, NJ. Otherwise, you are at the mercy of the company that prepares the seed mixes. You may not only have seeds for plants from other parts of North America but from other parts of the world; plants that may well be totally inappropriate for you to grow in your garden. 

In an effort to help you, we went to our Native Plant Database and, using the Combination Search on that page, searched on New Jersey for the state, "herb" for Habit, orange for Bloom Color, July through October for Bloom Time and 1-3 ft. for height. This yielded 5 results, none of which may be the plant you are looking for, but now that you know how to use our Native Plant Database you can try your own search, remembering that only plants native to North America will be in our database. Here are the selections that resulted from our search:

Asclepias tuberosa (Butterflyweed)

Hypericum gymnanthum (Claspingleaf st. johnswort)

Lilium philadelphicum (Wood lily)

Ratibida columnifera (Mexican hat)

Rudbeckia fulgida (Orange coneflower)

Butterflyweed

Claspingleaf st. johnswort
Hypericum gymnanthum

Wood lily
Lilium philadelphicum

Mexican hat
Ratibida columnifera

Orange coneflower
Rudbeckia fulgida