Mr. Smarty Plants - Habiturf for Round Rock TX

Sunday - March 17, 2013

From: Round Rock, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Seeds and Seeding, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Habiturf for Round Rock TX

QUESTION:

Topic Habiturf. We have just aerated our lawn. We were planning on throwing out bermudagrass seed. We already have bermudagrass as well as many weeds in the lawn especially the blue stem clump grass weed. Would the Habiturf seed come up in this type of situation? I understand it is not ideal. But is it better than throwing out Bermuda grass seeds?

ANSWER:

We would never suggest throwing out bermudagrass seeds. It is a non-native grass, so invasive that it is considered one of the worst weeds in the South. But just "throwing out" Habiturf seeds isn't going to work much better. We suggest you go to our site on Habiturf: The Ecological Lawn, watch the video, follow all the links to other articles and then consider. Consider soon, though, as Spring is the best time to seed Habiturf.