Thursday - February 07, 2013

From: Fort worth, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Shrubs
Title: Pride of Barbados seed for Ft. Worth TX

QUESTION:

When can you plant the Pride of Barbados plant seeds and how to go about it in Fort Worth Texas?

ANSWER:

Please read this previous Smarty Plants answer, that discusses the fact that we don't actually think that Pride of Barbados is native to North America. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but also to the area in which they are being grown; in this case, Tarrant County. One of the links in that article indicated that the plant could be grown in North Central Texas and said if it died back in the winter to simply cut it back and it should recover.

Central Texas Gardener Pride of Barbados has more information on the widespread use of the plant in Texas. From plantanswers.com here are propagation instructions, including by seed.