En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Native plants for pots for wedding in November

Tuesday - October 03, 2006

From: Washington, DC
Topic: Wildflower Center, Herbs/Forbs
Title: Native plants for pots for wedding in November

QUESTION:

Will any of the plants that are in your big plant sale be flowering in November? I am looking for plants that would do well in pots because I'd like to use them as center pieces at a wedding (in Austin) and then give them to guests as gifts. Any suggestions? If there aren't any plants that would be flowering, are there other plants that would work nicely in pots?

ANSWER:

Here is a list of plants available at our 2006 Fall Plant Sale that bloom in November and may be the sort of plants you are wanting for your wedding:

Cardinal feather (Acalypha radians)
Western Primrose (Calylophus hartwegii)
Chocolate flower (Berlandiera lyrata)
Palm-leaf mistflower (Conoclinium greggii)
Prairie verbena (Glandularia bipinnatifida var. bipinnatifida)
Gayfeather (Liatris mucronata)
Turk's cap (Malvaviscus arboreus var. drummondii)
Blackfoot Daisy (Melampodium leucanthum)
Wood-sorrel (Oxalis drummondii)
Mexican hat (Ratibida columnifera)
Drummond's Wild Petunia (Ruellia drummondiana)
Violet wild petunia (Ruellia nudiflora)
Woolly Stemodia (Stemodia lanata)
Sky-blue American-aster (Symphyotrichum oolentangiense)
Four Nerve Daisy (Tetraneuris scaposa var. scaposa)
Golden-Eye (Viguiera dentata)
Zexmenia (Wedelia texana)

I do need to add a disclaimer regarding the list above: For most of the flowers listed November is at the end of their blooming period, not the peak of their flowering. This being so, we can't guarantee that they will be in full bloom for your November wedding, only that they generally do have some blossoms in November most years.

You can find more information about the sale and access the list of everything that will be available by visiting our site for the 2006 Fall Plant Sale and Gardening Festival.