Wednesday - November 28, 2012

From: Sarasota, FL
Topic: Non-Natives, Transplants, Trees
Title: Replanting of non-native Christmas Palm from Sarasota FL

QUESTION:

Do you know of a proven technique to plant a Christmas Palm in a built-in concrete pool deck planter box - using gravel around the soil root ball to delay the root bound condition we just ripped out?

ANSWER:

We know of no way, proven or not, to do anything with Adonidia merrillii, Veitchia or Christmas Palm, which grows natively only in the Phillipines. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, home of Mr. Smarty Plants, is dedicated to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown.

From Learn2Grow, here is an article on Care of Adonidia merrillii. It does not sound like this plant is appropriate to grow in the confined space you are considering. Here is another article from the University of Florida Okeechobee County Extension Service on the Christmas Palm. Both articles have transplant information and pictures.