Tuesday - August 21, 2012

From: austin, TX
Topic: General Botany, Compost and Mulch
Title: Bird nest fungus in Central Austin, TX.

QUESTION:

Hi, I live in Central Austin and have different types of ground cover (such as silver pony foot)in my garden and have noticed huge patches of bird's nest fungi in between and under. Every time it rains, I get more. Should I be doing something about it or just let the fungi be? Thanks!

ANSWER:

Bird nest fungus is a fascinating organism that I always enjoy finding it. It is a saprophyte and won’t harm your pony foot since it gets its nourishment from the mulch and other decaying material in your flower bed.

This link describes the species Cyathus olla, and tells the remarkable story of how it reproduces.

I would just leave it alone and enjoy it.