Mr. Smarty Plants - Evergreen Privacy Hedge for Long Island

Friday - June 29, 2012

From: Smithtown, NY
Topic: Privacy Screening, Shrubs, Trees
Title: Evergreen Privacy Hedge for Long Island
Answered by: Larry Larson

QUESTION:

I live on Long Island and want a privacy evergreen hedge partial sun.

ANSWER:

In checking out your request, Mr Smarty Plants found quite a few previous question/answer pairs that fit a very similar profile.  What I will do then is put them out for your reading pleasure and comment on a few suitable plants that are common.

Here are the previous discussions:
Evergreen Trees for Long Island
Evergreen Shrubs for Long Island 
Privacy Screen for Long Island
Evergreen Hedge for NY  [Breezy Pt, NY]
Privacy Screen in Long Beach NY  [this answer has a good discussion of the general method of finding plants to suggest]
Hedge Options for Sag Harbor, NY:

From my reading – Here is a list of Partial Sun Evergreens that should do well in your area.  I’ve included their rough heights.
Morella pensylvanica (Northern bayberry)  [3-12 ft.]
Ilex glabra (Inkberry)  [6-12 ft.]
Thuja occidentalis (Arborvitae)  [to 30 ft.]
Juniperus virginiana (Eastern red cedar)  [30-40 ft.]
Ilex opaca (American holly)  [25-60 ft.]

Northern bayberry
Morella pensylvanica

Inkberry
Ilex glabra

Inkberry
Ilex glabra

Arborvitae
Thuja occidentalis

Eastern red cedar
Juniperus virginiana

American holly
Ilex opaca