En Espa—ol

Friday - April 06, 2012

From: Reading, PA
Topic: Plant Laws, Planting
Title: Transferring a palm tree from Florida to Pennsylvania from Reading PA

QUESTION:

Is it legal to transport a small palm tree (12" high) from FL to PA?

ANSWER:

The plant laws that we could find all had to do with bringing plants in from other countries, especially invasive ones. Also, some states have inspection of live plants for insect infestations that might spread. The Meditteranean fruit fly problem in California is an example.

There are many different species of palms, not all of them native to North America. We are assuming this is a house plant, which means it is probably not native. If it is intended to be planted outside, I think you will find the Pennsylvania climate not hospitable to a palm. We can think of no reason why it would be illegal to move a small houseplant from state to state.