Monday - July 24, 2006

From: Guadalajara, Other
Region: Other
Title: Information for native garden in Guadalajara, Mexico

I am trying to start up my native garden in Guadalajara Mexico but have not been able to find many databases or info. Any advice or suggestions?

The internet seems to be sadly lacking in databases for Mexican plants. I have found one, Arboles y Arbustos de la Ciudad de Queretaro. Since Queretaro is only about 360 km east of Guadalajara, most of the trees and shrubs shown in the database would probably be suitable for Guadalajara. Print guides to the flora of Mexico in English or Spanish also seem to be in short supply. A Handbook of Mexican Roadside Flora by Charles and Patricia Mason, University of Arizona Press, 1987 with a key, line drawings, and some distribution information is out of print. There are used copies available but they are rather expensive. You might be able to find a copy in a library, perhaps at Universidad de Guadalajara.

One possible source for information on local plants in Guadalajara is Parque Metropolitano. The Mexico Tourism Board web page has this to say about Parque Metropolitano:
"One of Guadalajara’s first ecological areas to look after the conservation of the region’s flora and fauna. It’s also a relaxing place to do family outings and various sports and recreational activities. Located on Avenida Beethoven in the La Estancia neighborhood."

Another possible resource is faculty in Biologicas Agropecuarias at Universidad de Guadalajara.