Thursday - April 16, 2009

From: Punta Gorda, FL
Title: Problems with non-native ixora in Punta Gorda, FL

We are having problems with our Ixora plants. The leaves turn yellow, then fall down.

Ixora coccinea is native to tropical Asia, and therefore out of our range of expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center. We are dedicated to the care and propagation of plants native not only to North America but the the area in which they are being grown. We found a Floridata website, Ixora coccinea, which may be able to give you some help. We did notice that this plant does not do well in alkaline soil, and suffers from chlorosis in that kind of soil, which causes leaves to yellow.