Tuesday - August 02, 2011

From: Ballston Spa, NY
Title: Vegetable garden in Ballston Spa, NY

I never got my veg. garden in this year. Are there any late crops I can still plant at this late date in Ballston Spa, NY? Thanks.

As it happens most, if not all, garden vegetables are either non-native to North America or so hybridized that their origins are unrecognizable. The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is committed to the growth, propagation and protection of plants native not only to North America but to the areas in which those plants grow natively. This is not to say that none of the volunteers or staff members at the Wildflower Center ever grow some tomatoes or squash or lettuce. It's just that we have no information on those plants in our Native Plant Database. Also, even for those who do grow vegetables around the Central Texas area, our seasons are somewhat different from yours in central eastern New York State. You would do far better contacting the Cornell University Cooperative Extension Office for Saratoga County. Extension offices are excellent sources of information on local soils, seasons and crops. There is contact information on the website.