Monday - January 02, 2012

From: Victorville, CA
Topic: Non-Natives, Plant Identification
Title: Identification of stem from a bouquet

QUESTION:

I have a stem with leaves that came in a bouquet May 2011. They are still healthy in a vase of water tho they have no roots, just stem. On the back center of each leaf are protrusions half an inch long that do not look like roots. They are sticking right out of the back of the leaves. Can you help identify this plant? Thanks.

ANSWER:

Plants included in bouquets are very rarely native plants.   Our focus and expertise at the Lady Bird Johnson Center are with plants native to North America so we aren't who you should be asking about non-natives.   Additionally, descriptions alone usually don't give enough informationto identify a plant.  However, if you will go to our Plant Identification page you will find links to several plant identification forums that accept photos for identification.   Perhaps, if you send them photos, one of them will be able to identify your plant.