Tuesday - September 27, 2011

From: Temecula, CA
Title: Problem with non-native bower vine (Pandorea jasminoides)

I live in Temecula, CA I have grown pink bower vines before with great success. I recently purchased 2 bower vines and planted them on each side of a trellis in full sun. They flower but do not grow. I see no "tendrils" to attach to my arbor. It's been about 2 months now and should be well on it's way to climb up and over my arbor. What's wrong?

Pandorea jasminoides (bower vine) is a native of Australia and our focus and expertise here at the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center are with plants native to North America so we are not really the ones to be asking about problems with your non-native bower vine.   You can find many sites online with information about caring for your bower vine.  Here is one from GardenGuides.com but you can find more.  You might call or visit the nursery where you bought your bower vine to see if they have any guidance.  You might also want to contact the the University of California Riverside County Master Gardeners office.  They have a hotline for answering gardening questions Monday-Friday from 9 AM till Noon.