Mr. Smarty Plants - Mystery Ground Cover in WI

Monday - July 11, 2011

From: Nekoosa, WI
Topic: Plant Identification, Groundcovers
Title: Mystery Ground Cover in WI

QUESTION:

I am trying to identify a ground cover plant that has started growing in my yard (I'm in central Wisconsin). It is very short, only about 1-2 inches tall and is very thick covering the ground. It has small pink flowers on it and has a very strong aroma when cut, it smells like basil or some other herb, but I'm not sure what it is. The leaves and flowers are slightly larger than the point of a pen. Could you help me identify it. I have pictures as well. Thank You.

ANSWER:

Even though you have given us a good description, we cannot id your plant for you.

We can help, though, by providing this link to our Plant Identification page that will direct you to several forums that offer that service.

You can also take a sprig of it to a local garden center or your local agricultural extension service.