Mr. Smarty Plants - is the rainbow Eucalyptus poisonous to horses in FL?

Tuesday - May 24, 2011

From: Miami, FL
Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: is the rainbow Eucalyptus poisonous to horses in FL?

QUESTION:

Is the Rainbow Eucalyptus Tree poisonous to horses?

ANSWER:

When we get questions about toxic plants, we consult a series of databases in search of answers (see below)

Toxic Plants Databases

* The Merck Veterinary Manual 

ASPCA   dogs & cats  

*ASPCA- horses

Wikipedia

University of Arkansas 

University of Illinois  (common names only)   

Plants Poisonous to Horses, An Australian Field Guide                                            

Toxic Plants of Texas

*Poisonous Plants of North Carolina   

Cornell University Plants Poisonous to Livestock

University of Pennsylvania Poisonous Plants

Canadian Poisonous Plants Information System

*California Poison Action Line

Manes and Tales Organization

IFAS Extension

Four of these  (see asterisks *) list Eucalyptus sp. as being toxic to horses. I don’t know why the plant is not listed in the other databases.
While the Rainbow Eucalyptus Eucalyptus deglupta isn’t listed specifically, I would take steps to see that it isn’t available for horses to eat. The younger leaves seem to conain more of the toxic agent.