Mr. Smarty Plants - Where to buy a non-native globe willow from Beatrice NE

Wednesday - April 20, 2011

From: Beatrice, NE
Title: Where to buy a non-native globe willow from Beatrice NE

QUESTION:

Where can one buy a globe willow tree?

ANSWER:

In China, where it belongs. I don't know how you would get it to Nebraska, nor why. Please read this article from Sunshine and Starlight Why Not to Plant a Globe Willow in Your Yard. Then read this from a previous Mr. Smarty Plants answer:

"The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center researches and teaches about our native species, working to promote their use and re-establishment in their ancestral native ranges. Since Salix matsudana (globe willow or corkscrew willow) is a native of China, it is outside our sphere of expertise. Natives planted in their preferred habitat are suited to their local growing conditions, and perform to their optimum.

There is a previous query about the tree you are considering, Salix matsudana (globe willow). Follow this link to read the earlier answer. Globe Willow is fast-growing and has attractively-colored foliage, but suffers a variety of problems from weak limbs and short life span to pests and disease."