Monday - January 12, 2009

From: Alvin, TX
Title: ID for pines along Interstate 45

QUESTION:

Along the interstate (45) once you get up past Conroe and closer to Dallas, there are some type of pne tree that grows in the medians and on the sides. I love these trees but haven't been able to identify them so that I can buy some for my yard. Any idea what they are and where I can buy them around the Houston area?

ANSWER:

If you will take photos—one of the entire tree, one of the needles up close, one of the trunk, and one of the cones, Mr. Smarty Plants will try to identify them for you. Please visit the Ask Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page to read instructions for submitting photos.

You can search for nurseries that specialize in native plants in your area where the trees might be for sale in our National Suppliers Directory.

Now, here are some possibilities:

Pinus echinata (shortleaf pine)

Pinus taeda (loblolly pine)

Pinus palustris (longleaf pine)

Pinus elliottii (slash pine)