Wednesday - February 02, 2011

From: Jarrell, TX
Topic: Transplants, Grasses or Grass-like
Title: Best Time for Dividing and Transplanting Native Bunch Grasses in Jarrell, Texas
Answered by: Mike Tomme

Dear Mr. Smarty Plants, What time of the year is the best for dividing and transplanting native bunch grasses like Gulf muhly, and Miscanthus?

No time like the present. February or early March is an ideal time to divide and transplant Muhlenbergia capillaris (Gulf muhly) in central Texas. Best to get it done before the spring growth starts. It prefers moist sandy soils and full sun.

As for Miscanthus, Mr. Smarty Plants assumes you mean Miscanthus sinensus (Chinese silvergrass) which, according to the USDA is native to the United States (in spite of its common name), but not to Texas. Furthermore, it is listed as an invasive plant in Texas by Texasinvasives.org. Sorry, Mr. Smarty Plants isn't going to help you with that one.

Muhlenbergia capillaris