En Espa—ol

Friday - January 14, 2011

From: Frisco, TX
Topic: Non-Natives, Herbs/Forbs, Shrubs
Title: Needs Help with Peonies
Answered by: Marilyn Kircus

QUESTION:

With the clay soil in North Texas (Frisco) which variety of peony would thrive and become a reliable bloomer? I do work on amending the soil with expanded shell and compost, but ultimately, we still have a lot of clay. Any suggestions would help. I'm also looking for a dwarf (3 ft or less) encore azalea that would also do well in our area. Any suggestions would help. Thank you.

ANSWER:

Mr. Smarty Plants exists to help people become more successful in growing native plants.  We do not  answer non-native questions.  But here are some places for you to go for help.

The Heartland Peony Society.

Denton County Master Gardeners

Dave's Garden  Be sure to check out the various forums and also check out various peonies to see if someone is growing them near you.  And split your question into two - one for peonies, and the other for azaelas.

Good luck with your gardening endeavors.