Wednesday - August 18, 2010

From: Kyle, TX
Topic: Seasonal Tasks
Title: When should I remove the stakes from Oak trees planted last november in Kyle, TX?

QUESTION:

I live in Kyle TX. I have new construction of oak trees that are about 10 feet tall and are staked. How long should they stay staked? They were put in the ground about Thanksgiving 2009. Thanks.

ANSWER:

The subject of staking newly planted trees is one that is wrapped in contoversy. Opinions range from no staking to leaving the stakes in place for up to two years. The answer depends on many considerations such as tree type, tree size, soil conditions, amount of rain fall, prevailing winds among others.

I have found three websites with opinions that run the gamut but with explanations of the rationale for their positions. 

After carefully reading these, you might decide that removing the stakes from your trees could be a part of your Thanksgiving celebration this year.

Click on each URL to view the website

http://www.dirtdoctor.com/organic/garden/view_question/id/1791/

https://ogdenstreeservice.com/Central_Texas_Trees.html

http://www.800oakwilt.com/articles13001/caring7.html