Mr. Smarty Plants - Fertilizer for non-native Althea in West Monroe LA

Monday - July 12, 2010

From: West Monroe, LA
Title: Fertilizer for non-native Althea in West Monroe LA

QUESTION:

What type of fertilizer is best for Althea Bushes

ANSWER:

Hibiscus syriacus, Althea or Rose of Sharon, is native to China and Taiwan and therefore falls out of our range of expertise, which is plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. We found one reference to fertilizer which recommended a slow-release fertilizer for trees and shrubs in early Spring. Don't use fertilizers heavy in nitrogen, such as lawn fertilizers, as this encourages green leaves but not flowers. We also found references to this plant as invasive, seeding profusely and being difficult to control.