Mr. Smarty Plants - Identification of shrubs with red berries in Connecticut

Thursday - June 24, 2010

From: Coventry, CT
Topic: Plant Identification, Shrubs
Title: Identification of shrubs with red berries in Connecticut

QUESTION:

In my yard there are bushes about 4 1/2' tall with red berries. The berries are bright red and somewhat translucent with striations visible through the skin.I thought they were gooseberries perhaps, but while they appear in two's (sometimes 3's)they are are more squat (like a blueberry) than the photos I've seen and the leaves are different. Their leaves are dark green, have pointed ends with a generally oval body (kind-of the classic "leaf shape") They are slightly fuzzy to touch, as are the brown, woody stems which grow from a wood-like stalk. Any ideas on what this plant may be?

ANSWER:

Not really.  Sorry.  You can search our Native Plant Database by doing a COMBINATION SEARCH and selecting 'Connecticut' from the Select State or Province category and 'Shrub' from the Habit (general appearance) category.  If you don't find your shrub there, please send us photos and we will do our best to identify it.  Visit Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions on submitting photos.