Wednesday - February 01, 2006

From: Nutley, NJ
Title: Boom time for Texas wildflowers and best sites for viewing

I live in NJ and would like to visit Texas and see the bluebonnets and other wildflowers in bloom this spring. When do you expect the best display of flowers this year? Also, can you tell me where the best viewing would be? I am retired and have time and would love to see the flowers. Thanks.

Bluebonnets may begin blooming as early as late February and continue blooming until early June. However, the peak of blooming usually occurs around the first week of April. This has been a rather warm winter so far and this could shift the peak a little, but the first week of April should still be a good bet to see the best show.

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is at the edge of the Texas Hill Country and we think the Hill Country has the best wildflower show in the state. Besides, while you are in the area you can come visit us here at the Wildflower Center as well. Every Spring, in order to help you decide where and when to go to see this beautiful phenomenon, we devote a portion of our website to wildflower sightings in the area. You can view this information, beginning around the middle of March, by browsing the Wildflower Center website and choosing the link from the "What's New" section. Another useful service that provides wildflower wayfinding routes through our region is a group called Lonestar Internet, Inc. When wildflowers begin to bloom around mid-March you can visit "Wildflower and Fall Foliage" in the Travel Section on the Texas Department of Transportation web page to learn of the best wildflower sightings. You can find more routes and information at the Texas Hill Country Wildflower Trail web site. For links to various festivals happening in the Central Texas area you can visit the Fredericksburg Texas Hill Country Festivals page. DeWitt County offers its own wildflower site as does Brenham, Texas in Washington County. On the Brenham page, select "Visitor Information", then "Nature Watch" to find their information on wildflowers.

We hope you will take the opportunity to visit the Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center when you are in the area viewing the beautiful wildflowers this Spring.