En EspaÑol

Friday - June 04, 2010

From: Eugene, OR
Region: Northwest
Topic: Invasive Plants
Title: Eliminating bindweed in Eugene OR

QUESTION:

Any ideas on the best non-chemical way to get rid of bindweed in the Eugene, Oregon area? In addition to any other ideas you can suggest, are there any groundcovers that would do the job and be non-invasive themselves? The bindweed is in both hot sunny areas and shade areas. Thank you!

ANSWER:

About all we can say about Convolvulus arvensis, Field Bindweed, is that it's not one of ours. Native to Africa, Asia and Europe, it does not appear in our Native Plant Database. From this USDA Plant Profile, we would say it is pretty well established in and around Lane County, OR.

You are no doubt already aware that there is no easy way to get rid of this plant. We found a couple of websites that have good information, but no magic potion. The first is from Texas Invasives and the second from National Sustainable Agriculture Information Service Field Bindweed Control Alternatives . They both cite methods of chemical intervention, but they also have other non-chemical methods.