En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Blueberry and huckleberry plants for Washington state

Tuesday - April 20, 2010

From: Walla Walla , WA
Region: Northwest
Topic: Edible Plants
Title: Blueberry and huckleberry plants for Washington state

QUESTION:

Could you give me the names of which blueberry plants and huckleberry bushes that grow the best in Walla Walla, Washington and where and how to plant and space and care for them?? Thanks so much.

ANSWER:

The Northwest Berry & Grape Information Network, a cooperative effort of the USDA-ARS, Oregon State University, University of Idaho and Washington State University, has a wealth of information about growing berries in the Northwest.  You can find a series of "Growing Guides" for blueberries including an article about Blueberry Cultivar Selection.  They also have information about growing huckleberries.