Thursday - December 08, 2005

Topic: Poisonous Plants
Title: Plants toxic to dogs

QUESTION:

Can you tell me where I can get information on plants poisonious to dogs? Deck and yard plants. Thank you.

ANSWER:

You can find a large number of sites listing plants poisonous to dogs and other pets by searching the internet using the terms: "dogs toxic plants". Here are three good ones:

1. The Dog Pack Health page lists poisonous plants by category (for example, Bulbs, Ferns, etc.)
2. From the Cyber Canine page there is a list of plants with clinical signs of poisoning
3. The Har-Vel Boxers page has a list divided into houseplants and outdoor plants.

Both the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign (Plants Toxic to Animals) and Purdue University in Indiana (Indiana Plants Poisonous to Livestock and Pets) have databases devoted to plants toxic to animals.

The National Animal Poison Control Center sponsored by the American Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (ASPCA) is an excellent resource for all substances (not only plants) poisonous to animals. They provide information, educational programs, and emergency telephone consulting 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.