Mr. Smarty Plants - Can non-native Mayten tree be grown in 4 ft. container in Cypress CA

Saturday - January 30, 2010

From: Cypress, CA
Topic: Container Gardens
Title: Can non-native Mayten tree be grown in 4 ft. container in Cypress CA

QUESTION:

We have a mayten tree that is about ten years old, in a planter about 4 ft. wide. We were told that the roots will not be a problem--true or false? So far, no problem, but how about going forward?

ANSWER:

The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center is devoted exclusively to the care, protection and propagation of plants native not only to North America but to the area in which they are being grown. Maytenus boaria, Mayten Tree, is native to South America, most particularly Argentina, Brazil and Chile. This website from California Gardens.com will give you a little more information about the plant. We understand that the Mayten ordinarily grows 25 to 30 ft. tall, with a 25 ft. spread. Since the root systems of most trees correspond to, or are even wider than, the canopy it is hard to believe that could be contained in a 4 ft. planter.