Monday - January 25, 2010

Topic: Wildflower Center
Title: Does the Wildflower Center sell Endangered Plant Species?

Do you guy's sell endangered plants in Austin? Such as the Basin Bellflower, or the Texabama Croton?

No.  It is illegal to commerce in any plant species listed as Threatened or Endangered by the State of Texas or by the Federal government.  The Lady Bird Johnson Wildflower Center, as you would expect, carefully follows the law regarding Threatened and Endangered species.

However, neither Campanula reverchonii (basin bellflower) nor Croton alabamensis var. texensis (Texabama croton) - both rare, endemic species - are included on the Texas nor the US lists of Endangered and Threatened plants.  Nevertheless, we currently sell neither of these two species at our plant sales.