En EspaÑol

Saturday - October 15, 2005

From: Edwardsburg, MI
Title: Smarty Plants on wisteria
Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

A friend has a wisteria bush in his yard that was planted around 1950 by his mother. It has yellow blossoms. He has been told many times by people passing by (they stop to look at the plant) that there are no more yellow wisteria bushes to be found. Is this true? Thank you for your help.

ANSWER:

As far as we here at the Wildflower Center know, there is no such thing as a yellow wisteria. We suspect what your friend has is a Golden Chain Tree (Laburnum sp.). Most likely it is Laburnum x watereri which is a hybrid between L. alpinum and L. anagyroides. It is native to Southern Europe and has been introduced to North America as an ornamental.

Here are more photos and information about the Golden Chain Tree.