Mr. Smarty Plants - Identity of tree in Grant AL

Thursday - November 26, 2009

From: Grant, AL
Title: Identity of tree in Grant AL

QUESTION:

What is the name of the tree in N.E. Alabama that has a big green heart shaped leaf in Nov. with clusters or nuts & blonde small nuts the size of a pea . And deer are eating the small blonde nut in Nov. The tree seems to grow better in dame hallows and where you see one you find many more ?

ANSWER:

That sounds like a very interesting tree, but we need more information before we can attempt to identify it. Please go to Mr. Smarty Plants' Plant Identification page for instructions to send us some pictures. And, please, if you don't mind, what is a "dame hallow?" It's not a term with which we are familiar.