Mr. Smarty Plants - What happens to wildflower seeds planted before a heavy rain in Cedar Creek TX

Monday - November 23, 2009

From: Cedar Creek, TX
Title: What happens to wildflower seeds planted before a heavy rain in Cedar Creek TX

QUESTION:

I planted tx wildflower seeds yesterday--November 19th. It has rained all day with water standing in the places that I planted. Do you think that they will take? Am I going to have to plant more seeds? I sure hope not!

ANSWER:

Well, let's think this through. Generally, we recommend that wildflower seeds be planted at about the time the plants would be dropping their seeds in the ordinary chain of events. That usually is earlier than this, maybe mid-October. But who would think we would ever get the kind of rain we have been getting in Central Texas the last couple weeks? Or the kind of heat and drought we have had the last couple years? So, we're thinking that any seeds on the ground when that rain hit would be happy seeds, able to sprout right away instead of having to lie low for maybe years until it rained again. If you raked your seeds in as is instructed on seed packets, they may not have even moved. If they were just lying on the ground, they might have washed a little way off from where you intended they come up, but when they start seeding themselves, they are going to go where they wish and where they find optimum conditions anyway. Because of finally getting some Fall rains, we are expecting a nice crop of wildflowers in the Spring. Texas wildflower seeds are generally prepared to wait for better days and come up when the conditions are good. We think a lot of your seeds will germinate and you will begin to see the baby plants by the end of the year, while the rest wait and come up another year, along with the seeds from the ones you just planted. If you are a belt and suspenders person, you can always plant some more seeds, but we don't think it's going to be necessary in order for you to have a stand of beautiful Texas wildflowers.