From:Covington, LA Region: Southeast Topic: Trees Title: Possibility of saving hurricane-damaged Umbrella Magnolia Answered by: Nan Hampton and Joe Marcus
Our beautiful umbrella magnolia Magnoliaceae Magnolia tripetala was toppled during Hurricane Katrina. We have lifted it back in place, however it looks very distressed. I have the following questions:
1. Can it be saved?
2. Can I produce a cutting from the existing tree?
3. Can this tree still be purchased?
1. The major factor in saving your tree is how much of the root ball remained intact when it toppled. If it still has most of its roots, it has a good chance of surviving; but you need to trim it back—HARD! Other factors that could affect its survival is the age of the tree, its health before the hurricane toppled it, and length of time the roots were exposed.
2. You can propagate by seeds or by rooting from shoots. The Botany.com web page describes how this can be done.
3. We have found a couple of nurseries, Overhill Gardens, in Vonore, Tennessee and NWN Nursery in Chipley, Florida that show Magnolia tripetala in their current catalogs. There are probably others in your area. You can visit the National Suppliers Directory in the Native Plant Information Network to search for nurseries that specialize in native plants in your area.
Fast-growing evergreens for privacy in Center, TX March 30, 2010 - I live in East Texas and am looking for a fast growing evergreen for a privacy screen around my backyard. The area gets partial sun and the soil has a lot of clay in it. view the full question and answer
Denying cows access to flowers through fence March 20, 2008 - What flowers can I plant that cows will not eat? They stick their heads through the fence and eat anything they can reach. I would like to plant something in the fence row that will not hurt the cows... view the full question and answer
City tree ordinance information January 10, 2010 - Dear Mr. Smarty Plants,
I am writing to you in regards to city tree ordinances. I am a citizen of Grand Prairie, TX. and although the city is a Tree City, the city does not have a tree ordinance. T... view the full question and answer
Problems with Texas Ash from Sun City, AZ April 20, 2012 - What might be causing the leaves on my Texas Ash tree to have brown spots and curl up and die? view the full question and answer
Late leafing and early leaf-drop of Ohio buckeye tree October 28, 2005 - We recently bought a house which has an ohio buckeye tree in the back yard. It stands about 40 feet from a large creek in Troy, Ohio. The tree is about 30 feet tall. A strip of the bark is missing.... view the full question and answer