En EspaÑol

Mr. Smarty Plants - Replacing St. Augustine with native grasses in San Antonio

Wednesday - November 04, 2009

From: San Antonio, TX
Title: Replacing St. Augustine with native grasses in San Antonio
Answered by: Barbara Medford and Joe Marcus

QUESTION:

I am hoping to replace St. Augustine on a sloped yard with native grass. I was wondering where I might get information on the prairie grass seed mats used by the TXDOT highway dept to stop erosion.

ANSWER:

Google searches for "erosion control" or "erosion mats" yield many results for products like those TxDOT uses; probably they use several different brands and types. We have no direct information on what TxDot is presently using, and suggest you contact the Texas Department of Transportation and see if you can locate the materials they use and the sources for them.