Monday - July 20, 2009

Title: Save and store pigeonberry seeds from Austin

QUESTION:

What is the best way to save and store pigeonberry seeds?

ANSWER:

From our webpage on Rivina humilis (rougeplant) (pigeonberry)

Propagation

Propagation Material: Seeds
Description: Seed and cuttings.
Seed Collection: Collect berries when plump and red. Allow to dry spread out.
Seed Treatment: Seeds germinate well and grow slowly.
Commercially Avail: yes
Maintenance: Water during summer drought.

When working on seeds for the Millennium Seed Bank, squishy seeds like this are thoroughly cleaned, one messy job, dried thoroughly on a plastic screen that allows air to flow freely around the seeds, and then stored in a freezer. For home purposes, they could be stored in a refrigerator until planting time, but they do need to be very clean and dry to prevent fungus from invading the seeds.

More information from Killer Plants.com Rivina humilis.