Mr. Smarty Plants - Save and store pigeonberry seeds from Austin

Monday - July 20, 2009

Title: Save and store pigeonberry seeds from Austin

QUESTION:

What is the best way to save and store pigeonberry seeds?

ANSWER:

From our webpage on Rivina humilis (rougeplant) (pigeonberry)

Propagation

Propagation Material: Seeds
Description: Seed and cuttings.
Seed Collection: Collect berries when plump and red. Allow to dry spread out.
Seed Treatment: Seeds germinate well and grow slowly.
Commercially Avail: yes
Maintenance: Water during summer drought.

When working on seeds for the Millennium Seed Bank, squishy seeds like this are thoroughly cleaned, one messy job, dried thoroughly on a plastic screen that allows air to flow freely around the seeds, and then stored in a freezer. For home purposes, they could be stored in a refrigerator until planting time, but they do need to be very clean and dry to prevent fungus from invading the seeds.

More information from Killer Plants.com Rivina humilis.

Rivina humilis

Rivina humilis

Rivina humilis

Rivina humilis